Celestron Optical Tube Assemblies
Celestron Optical Tube Assemblies are available separately - both XLT and EdgeHD versions. Explore our selection below and find the perfect option for your needs.
Celestron Optical Tube Assemblies for Astronomy
Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescopes
Utilizing the Schmidt-Cassegrain (SCT) optical system, these compound or catadioptric telescopes combine mirrors and lenses to deliver exceptional performance. With their large-diameter optics and compact tube lengths, these telescopes offer remarkable portability. The Schmidt-Cassegrain system features a zero power corrector plate, a spherical primary mirror, and a secondary mirror, resulting in impressive optical capabilities. Experience a typical focal ratio of f/10, or f/2 when utilizing the Fastar capability. Explore the cosmos with the reliable and versatile Celestron Optical Tube Assemblies.
Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescopes Advantages:
- Best all-around, all-purpose telescope design—combines the optical advantages of both lenses and mirrors while mitigating their disadvantages
- Excellent optics with razor sharp images over a moderately-wide field
- Excellent for deep sky observing or astrophotography with film, DSLR, CCD or CMOS cameras
- Very good for lunar, planetary and binary star observing or photography due to long native focal lengths and high resolution
- Most are extremely compact and portable for their aperture
- Durable and virtually maintenance-free except for collimation, which is fairly simple and needs no special tools besides a high power eyepiece
- Large apertures at reasonable prices and less expensive than equivalent aperture refractors
- Most versatile type of telescope
- More accessories available than with other types of telescopes
- C5 optical tube has superior near-focus capability compared to other types of telescope (approximately 20 ft or 6 m)
- 6" to 14" optical tubes are Fastar compatible
Celestron EdgeHD Telescopes
Experience the superior optical performance of Celestron EdgeHD, an advanced, flat-field, aplanatic optical design specifically crafted for both visual observing and imaging applications. Whether you're using astronomical CCD cameras or full-frame digital SLR cameras, EdgeHD delivers exceptional results.
With EdgeHD, you can expect clean, diffraction-limited images that excel in high-power observations of planets and the Moon. As an aplanatic and flat-field astrograph, EdgeHD ensures sharp, round star images throughout its wide 42mm diameter flat field of view. This extraordinary optical design opens up exciting possibilities for capturing stunning color, monochrome, and narrow-band images of deep-sky objects.
The typical focal ratio of EdgeHD ranges from f/10 to f/11, although it can achieve an impressive f/2 with the Fastar capability. Unleash the power of Celestron EdgeHD and elevate your astronomy pursuits to new heights.
EdgeHD Telescopes Advantages:
Same optical and observing strengths as the SCT design
All models are Fastar-compatible
All models have integraded Field Flattener lenses in the rear baffle tube that allow imaging with large DSLR, CCD, or CMOS sensors without requiring additional corrective optics
Larger baffle tube diameter for 9.25", 11", and 14" models allows greater off-axis illumination
Vents with 60-micron mesh added to the rear cell to speed cooling while blocking most dust particles and moisture from getting inside the optical tubes
Optics are precision matched on each individual scope by Celestron for optimum imaging performance
Optional dedicated 0.7x reducer for all sizes allows wider fields of view to be recorded with a digital camera and even be used with some 2" eyepiece/diagonal combinations on the larger models
Focal reducers for 9.25", 11", and 14" maintain the full 146mm back focus, making it easy to switch the reducer in and out of image trains as desired
All EdgeHD scopes cover a full-frame DSLR at native focal ratio, and all but the 8" will cover the same field with the 0.7x reducer as well
Mirror tensioners have been added to fix focus and prevent mirror flop during a long exposure
Celestron Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) Telescopes:
The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) is a high-performance optical system designed for capturing breathtaking deep-sky astronomical images. With an incredibly fast focal ratio of approximately f/2 or f/2.2, it offers a flat field free from optical aberrations. Unlike traditional telescopes, the RASA is not intended for visual observation and can only be used in conjunction with a camera. By eliminating the challenges associated with slower and longer focal length telescopes, the RASA unlocks the potential for stunning astrophotography.
Celestron Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) Telescopes Advantages:
- Modern astrophotography telescope with a cutting edge design and fabrication
- Optical design around f/2 that allows you to collect deep sky images using very short exposure times
- Flatter field with better off-axis illumination than an SCT or EdgeHD in Fastar configuration
- As of 2020, all sizes now have Ultra-Stable Focus System (USFS) that minimizes focus shift and mirror flop
- No fixed diffraction spikes like a fast Newtonian, and cables can be curved to reduce the visibility of any effects