Optolong H-Alpha 7nm Narrowband Filter
This premium Optolong Narrowband H-Alpha filter is designed for nebula observation or CCD/dSLR imaging at 7nm bandwidth of light centered on a wavelength of 656nm, which corresponds to H-alpha emission lines.
This filter will reduce the transmission of certain wavelengths of light, specifically those produced by artificial light including mercury vapor, and both high and low pressure sodium vapor lights and the unwanted natural light caused by neutral oxygen emission in our atmosphere (i.e. skyglow). It is a red colored filter. Many images of planetary nebulae and supernova remnants are taken only with H-alpha and OIII filters. They show great structural details, but have natural colors, looking like an RGB image.
Main Use and Performance
Suitable for visual observation through large aperture telescopes or general CCD/dSLR imaging of most emission nebulae, planetary nebulae and supernova remnants even during full moon and in areas suffering from severe light pollution. Suitable for viewing bright nebulae like M42 Orion Nebula from cities with heavy light pollution.
Images of the Hubble-palette like the famous "Pillars of Creation" of the Eagle nebula (M16) are taken by the combination of H-alpha, OIII-CCD and SII-CCD filters. Narrowband imaging with a SHO set (H-alpha, OIII-CCD and SII-CCD) can be done with the moon up in a heavily light polluted area so your equipment won't have to be dormant for several weeks.
A H-alpha filter can also be the first addition to a LRGB set for most imagers who will blend a black-and-white H-alpha image into RGB data to enhance structural detail whilst maintaining natural look.
Bear in mind that light pollution filters do not eliminate the effects of light pollution or increase the object’s brightness. In many cases, they simply increase the contrast between nebula and night sky, but without brightening the nebula.
Optolong filters are not designed for solar observation. DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN WITH ANY OPTOLONG FILTER as permanent eye damage will be the result.
- Schott substrate material
- Glass thickness 2.0 mm (1.25”/2”/36mm) and 1.00 mm Clip series
- Surface Quality: 60/40 (Refer to MIL-O-13830)
- Fine-optically polished to ensure accurate 1/4 wavefront and < 30 seconds parallelism over both surfaces
- 80% transmission at H-alpha line 656nm
- 0.1% transmission of off-band, specifically of the major emission lines of artificial light pollution (i.e. Na 589nm, Hg 435nm and 578nm). Transmission of 0.1% is equivalent to OD3 (Optical Density). High optical density value indicates very low transmission, and low optical density indicates high transmission.
- Ultra-thin filter cell minimise vignetting by maximising possible clear aperture (clear aperture is 26mm for 1.25” size and 45mm for 2” size)
- Aerometal Material
- Precise CNC Machining
- Sand Blasting Process
- Black Anodized Finish
- Extinction Treatment to Prevent Reflection
- Laser Engraving No Fading
- Standard 1.25” & 2”
- Round 36mm Unmounted
- Clip filter series
- Plastic PP Case
- Imported High Pressure EVA Case Lining
- Silver Cardboard Box
- High Density Sponge Carton Lining
- Multi-layer anti-reflection coating
- Non-cementing optical substrate coating
- Electron-beam gun evaporation with Ion-assisted deposition coating technology for durability and resistance to scratching, as well as stability on CWL (central wavelength) no deviation affected by temperature change.
- Planetary rotation system offers precision and homogeneity of coatings ensuring high value on transmission of pass-band and Optical density of off-band. (Please note, "planetary rotation system" is a type of optical coating process and does not refer to the astronomical system describing the motion of the planets in our solar system.)
At The Widescreen Centre, we prioritize prompt order processing and dispatch. We strive to dispatch all orders on the same day or the next working day, depending on the time of your order. We hold extensive stocks to ensure that your items are ready for immediate despatch. Please note that the cut-off time for same-day dispatch is usually 1:30 p.m.
For delivery within Mainland UK, we use reputable couriers to provide efficient service. You can expect your package to arrive in 1-2 working days. Please note that a signature may be required upon delivery to ensure a secure receipt.
In the case of special order items, the delivery time may be longer. If you have any concerns or questions about the delivery of your item, please don't hesitate to Contact Us. We are here to assist you.
Should there be any delay in dispatching your order, we will notify you to keep you informed.
Please be aware that The Widescreen Centre cannot be held responsible for any postal or third-party delays that may occur. We are committed to providing a reliable and efficient delivery service for our valued customers.
For more information please click here